As Millennials increasingly make up more of the workforce, and telecommuting increases in popularity, integrating video into your business culture just makes sense.
Small to mid-size businesses (SMBs) can benefit from this growing trend as the cost of equipment continues to come down and it becomes easier to use.
Using video technology can increase productivity and reduce operational costs, and face-to-face interaction (even through video) can strengthen relationships with employees and customers better than by connecting through voice alone. Instead of spending money traveling for meetings, you can use video calls to save travel time, expensive airfare and hotel costs and even help the environment by eliminating the greenhouse gases created by travel.
Implement a Video Conferencing Solution
There are many options to choose from when building your video solution – for example, free social platforms, such as Skype, to web conferencing platforms, such as GoToMeeting and WebEx, among others. More and more SMBs are also exploring Video as a Service where the video conferencing capabilities are outsourced to a Managed Service Provider (MSP) and delivered over an IP network.
Your solution should be part of your overall Unified Communications (UC) strategy.
Keep in mind the following tips to get the best overall solution:
- Start with a comprehensive platform. Instead of choosing a costly mix of independent tools and platforms, pick a robust platform that includes everything you are looking for, such as video, voice, conferencing, security and mobility.
- Build with eyes on the past and future. Video is constantly changing, so make sure your system has the capability to both operate with old technology and remain open to new. Having a comprehensive platform built on open standards lets you integrate your video platform with current applications and emerging business processes.
- Use a diversified vendor. Find a vendor with a large selection of video endpoints, from conference room and desktop-based solutions to video on mobile devices. You will need a mix to best serve your employees, partners and customers.
- Work with an expert. Many IT Managed Service Providers (MSPs) specialize in UC technologies and video conferencing. Having a skilled MSP at your side with experience in video communications will minimize implementation risks and maximize support.
Make Video a Part of Everyday Business
After your video solution is established, what can you do to make video a trusted part of your business?
Try the following strategies to help make the transition:
- Get your leaders on board. Have all your leaders use video communications and collaboration so employees will see how easy it is and follow suit.
- Establish etiquette. Maintain consistent etiquette rules so everyone knows how to behave on a video call. For example, keep backgrounds professional, dress appropriately, use the mute button for courtesy, etc.
- Use video for one-on-ones. Encourage the use of video for colleague-to-colleague interaction. Get staff used to using video in place of those quick daily audio calls.
- Continually experiment. Make using video fun by testing new applications or trying new features. Take your video collaboration to the next level and encourage staff to find better and better ways to become productive through video.
- Make it available everywhere. If you want everyone to use video, then make sure your video solution works whenever and wherever employees need it.
You can bring video into your business in many ways and partnering with a qualified MSP can help make the evolution easy. As video can be used for large group meetings and everyday one-to-one meetings, be sure to make it a regular part of everyday work life, so staff gets used to the technology and comes to regard it as an important tool.
Since 2007, TeamLogic IT has become the 36th largest IT service provider globally. Our success is driven through one core mission - to leverage technology for our customers.Thousands of businesses across the US - just like yours here in Wilmington, NC - are taking advantage of our ability to deliver highly available, secure and flexible IT systems. At TeamLogic IT, our philosophy is simple - we work with you the way we'd want someone to work with us. Visit us today in the Port City at 2901 North Kerr Ave., 910-500-1392. If email works best for you, contact me personally at [email protected].