From the first we heard about it, CloudWyze has been behind the idea of Cucalorus CONNECT. If you’ve not heard about it, let us fill you in on why you should attend.
Cucalorus Connect is a five-day entrepreneurship festival built on the world-famous Cucalorus Film Festival. Hosted in downtown Wilmington from Nov. 11-15, the quirky conference is presented by UNCW’s Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship and supported by everyone from Castle Branch’s tekMountain to the Chamber of Commerce and beyond.
I say “quirky” because while this is a legitimate technology conference with big name speakers from across the country, it comes with a set of objectives that makes it truly Wilmington’s conference. In fact, we always refer to it as an entrepreneurship festival because it’s not just one talking head after another. This is a conference where you have creativity at every angle.
Here are five reasons you need to be at Cucalorus CONNECT:
- It’s Who You Know. CONNECT is aptly named because unlike other business conferences, Cucalorus CONNECT is not focused on drawing the largest crowds. It’s focused on creating an environment where relationships are formed and new ideas can be developed. If you’re looking for someone who can help propel your business, you’re likely to find them at CONNECT.
- Inspirational Speakers. The opening day will clarify what Wilmington needs to do to be the next innovation center and bring with it knowledge-worker jobs. The keynote from Joan Siefert Rose, Council for Entrepreneurial Development, will help us understand what activities in other parts of North Carolina are working and stimulate new ideas that we can pursue here. The keynote panel, led by Dan Tynan, the editor-in-chief of Yahoo! Tech, will add insights from Pierre Naude, CEO of nCino, and Derrick Minor, Raleigh’s head of entrepreneurial development. And later that day you can learn the ins and outs of starting successful businesses from the Taylor entrepreneurs – George Taylor, Kurt Taylor and George Taylor III.
- Get Smart. Ever wondered how to let data work harder for your business? We’ve got Galen Buckwalter, the data-brain behind eHarmony. Is beer your thing? Learn a few lessons from leading app makers, Untappd, plus beer makers and even those driving the legal landscape for breweries – all while sipping a brew at IronClad. Need funding? Untangle the mess with panels that feature funders from Wilmington to Virginia and across the country, and the leading crowdfunding leaders, too. There’s a panel on Real Estate tech, Internet of Things, Medical Technology, Clean Tech and how to start and grow your company. And a LADIES ONLY Coding Class! That’s just a top-line overview.
- Unlock the New. You’ve heard of some of Wilmington’s leading startups, but not all. We’ve gathered some entrepreneurs who will tickle you – and maybe get you on the ground floor of what’s next here. But it’s not just Wilmington’s companies. People are flying in from around the country (and the world), so your network can grow exponentially.
- It’s unique and FUN. As kooky as Cucalorus is, you know any “conference” associated with it will be exceptional. This is nothing like conferences you’ve attended where you move from conference room to ballroom in some big sterile hotel. Not here. Not at CONNECT. Kick it off in Thalian Hall, then spread out to intimate settings downtown. You’ll be treated to “Cuc-tail” making lessons, a 3-D virtual reality lounge, a coding conference, and a placemaking day that will make you want to roll up your sleeves and be a part of this great city!
Join us. Come for the full five days
or buy individual tickets
to those events you can get to. Come to the parties and let’s meet! We’re committed to making CloudWyze a place that supports entrepreneurship in Wilmington, and making a great place to live even better.
Shaun Olsen is the CEO and president of CloudWyze. CloudWyze was created to help businesses focus and perform at their optimal level by crafting and executing custom technology plans for businesses of every type and size. To learn more about CloudWyze, visit www.CloudWyze.com. Shaun can be reached at [email protected] or 910-795-1000.