Honoring the unsung heroes in our health care community
Congratulations to the 2021 Health Care Heroes Award finalists!
Save the date:
Saturday, February 19, 2022
Country Club of Landfall
Reserve your seat today by clicking the "Buy Tickets" tab above. This event was postponed from November due to Covid. We will monitor local conditions as the event date approaches.
Meet the 2021 Health Care Heroes finalists:
- John L. Powell, retired physician/professor emeritus, OB/GYN, GYN ONC
- Quick Response Team, Coastal Horizons
- Alyssa Thompson, Director of Health Services, Plantation Village
- Carla Turner, Public Health Assistant Director, New Hanover County Health & Human Services
- New Hanover County Health & Human Services
- Novant Health NHRMC COVID Management Team
- School Nurses of New Hanover County Health & Human Services
- Wilmington Health COVID-19 Vaccine Team
Health Care Executive:
- Tommy Batson, Emergency Director, Pender County
- Andrea Blevins, EMT-Paramedic, Novant Health
- Mobile Integrated Health, Novant Health
Health Care Professional:
- Zane Bennett, Director of business development, Life Care Services
- John Gizdic, Executive vice president & chief business developent officer, Novant Health
- Lynda Stanley, President, Dosher Memorial Hospital
Innovation in Health Care:
- Fran Johnson, Director of nursing for surgery center, Wilmington Health
- Michelle Sumrall, Manager of respiratory services, Novant Health
- Cassandra Taylor, CNA, Well Care Health
Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant:
- Jonathan Hines, Chief medical officer, Wilmington Health
- Melissa Odom, Chief operating officer, Physician's Healthcare Collaborative, Wilmington Health
- Meena Rao, Medical director, Cape Fear Heart Associates Atrial Fibrillation Clinic/Medical director, EP Lab, Novant Health
- McKenzie Kline, Physician assistant, Wilmington Health
- Jen Parrotte, Critical care nurse practitioner, Wilmington Health
- Carrie Thomas, Physician assistant, Coastal Carolina Care
- Jo Ann Behounek, Surgical services/emergency services nurse, Novant Health
- Eryn Davis, Staff nurse, COVID intensive care unit & medical intensive care unit, Novant Health
- Owen Howell, School nurse at Codington Elementary/Lake Forest Academy, New Hanover County Health & Human Services
- Michelle Jones, Family medicine physician, Wilmington Health
- Paul Kamitsuka, Infectious disease/internal medicine physician, Wilmington Health
- Mayra Overstreet Galeano, Chief medical officer, MedNorth Health Center
- Susan Gibble, Physician assistant (retired)
- Laura M. Holmes, Occupational therapy assistant, Well Care Health
- Bob Young & Walter Sieminski, Volunteers, Novant Health
The Greater Wilmington Business Journal's Health Care Heroes Awards honors individuals and organizations that are making an impact on the quality of health care in Wilmington.
Whether they are companies, doctors, nurses, specialists or managers, join us in recognizing those who embody the word “hero” and prove their excellence in helping others.
Nominations come from patients, peers, co-workers or anyone else who knows a worthy nominee. A panel of independent health care professionals will select three finalists and one winner for each category. The finalists profiles were featured in the special Health Care Heroes section of the October 16 issue of the Business Journal and the winners will be announced at an awards event on February 19, 2022 at the Country Club of Landfall.
Anyone who works or volunteers with health care in New Hanover, Brunswick, Pender and Columbus counties is eligible for the awards.