The amphitheater at Riverfront Park
will include Wilmington-headquartered fintech firm Live Oak Bank in its name.
Live entertainment company Live Nation
announced Wednesday that the Live Oak Bank Pavilion at Riverfront Park will open Friday as it welcomes a sold-out crowd for rock band Widespread Panic.
The sponsorship goes along with Live Oak Bank's mission to support local entrepreneurs.
"As Live Nation brings top-tier talent to Southeastern North Carolina, this allows Live Oak Bank to engage with our community and region in new and impactful ways including a commitment from Live Oak and Live Nation to support efforts for inclusive and diverse vendors at the venue," the release stated.
Live Oak's chairman and CEO James “Chip” Mahan stated in the release, “We know the value of doing business in this wonderful city, which is why we are proud to put our name on the Live Oak Bank Pavilion at Riverfront Park to support our hometown and play a part in Wilmington’s growth.
“Downtown Wilmington has long been a hub of entrepreneurial activity and we are excited help drive the economic success of the Cape Fear region.”
Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo said in a statement that 10 years ago, the stage was set for the "transformative" Riverfront Park. "Now, we have Live Oak Bank, a national industry leader based right here in Wilmington, partnering with Live Nation to bring world-class acts to our city. We’re excited for this moment in our history and all the moments that will come from these partnerships and investments,” Saffo said.
The 7,200-person venue, managed by Live Nation's Venue Nation, includes 2,400 seated and 4,800 on the lawn.
The site has rooftop VIP areas and purchase points for food and beverages on-site, the release stated. The facility will also feature state-of-the-art sound, event lighting and large screen image amplification.
“People are more excited than they’ve ever been to reconnect with one other over the magic of live music,” said Andy Peikon, senior vice president of Live Nation’s venue sales, in the release. “Fans are eagerly preparing for moments they’ll never forget, and Live Oak Bank will be at the forefront of those memories. By bringing a wide range of artists to Wilmington, Live Oak Bank will not only add to the vibrance and culture of the city, but also bring tremendous opportunities to local businesses.”
Currently announced performers on the 2021-22 Live Oak Bank Pavilion show schedule include:
• Widespread Panic – Friday, July 16; Saturday, July 17; and Sunday, July 18
• GRiZ – Friday, July 30, and Saturday, July 31
• Miranda Lambert – Saturday, Aug. 7
• Train with Vertical Horizon – Aug. 10
• Jim Gaffigan – Saturday, Aug. 14
• Harry Connick, Jr. and his Band – Aug. 25
• 311 with Iration and Iya Terra – Saturday, Sept. 4
• Glass Animals – Sunday, Sept. 5
• Santana – Sept. 15
• Trey Anastasio Band – Friday, Sept. 24
• Trevor Noah – Saturday, Sept. 25
• Counting Crows with Frank Turner – Sept. 29
• Lady A with Carly Pearce, Niko Moon, Tenille Arts – Sept. 30
• Chicago – Oct. 12
• Brett Eldredge with Morgan Evans – Oct. 14
• Lake Street Dive with Allison Russell – Oct. 20