With cyber attacks and security leaks making the news lately, it is more important than ever to make sure your business is safe. Malicious software and aggressive viruses can result in network downtime, loss of data, business interruption and worse.
Malware and hackers may be a constant threat, but there are many ways you can protect your company and minimize your risks.
At Team Logic IT, we can provide customized end-to-end network security solutions that work with your business practices. Whether your data resides on a remote network server, employees use personal devices to connect to your system, or you have an online marketplace, we can design and implement a security plan that continually monitors for threats and includes a backup and recovery plan to get you back to business quickly.
We believe that having a strong IT security system is a combination of technology, process and education. If you have the most up-to-date security software, check and test the system regularly and teach your employees to be aware of threats, you can increase your protection in the event of a security breach.
Passwords and Authentication
Change passwords regularly. Make sure any device with access to business email is password-, fingerprint- and lock code-protected. Stronger authentication technologies are more affordable and easier to implement than ever before. Many involve biometrics, such as fingerprints, that can confirm the person signing on, not just his or her login and password.
Send Links to Files
When possible, send links to files instead of adding attachments to an email. If you use cloud file storage, you can control the access permissions.
Verify Email Senders
Always verify email senders. If a partner, vendor or bank had a breach, your email address could be used to try to obtain personal information. Be especially careful with emails that ask for account details. If you see something suspicious, call your contacts at the company; don’t use the phone numbers in the suspect email.
Check Your Cloud Provider
If you use external back-up routines for business data, review your provider’s security process. Find out who on your provider’s team has access to your data, how the company keeps up with new types of threats and how often it evaluates and implements new ways to fight off those threats.
Use the following checklist to ensure you have basic security protection in place:
- Only use up-to-date and supported operating systems and software and install all security patches.
- Back up your data according to industry best practices.
- Use the most current anti-virus and anti-malware software and run routine scans on all systems, especially email, to detect threats early and often.
- Ensure you have a current business-grade firewall that runs the latest software.
- Conduct regular tests against your network to identify security vulnerabilities.
- Have a recovery or business continuity plan in place.
- Educate employees to identify scams, malicious links and emails that may contain viruses.
- Avoid visiting unsafe or unreliable websites and only download software from trusted sources.
- Never download an attachment or click a link you were not expecting to receive. Viruses can make links look like they came from a friend even when they did not.
- Always call your managed IT services provider in the case of a security problem.
An IT managed services provider like TeamLogic IT can help with all basic security measures - and more. With 24/7 remote monitoring and ongoing surveillance, we can assess your security needs and ensure you have the right protection in place.
Since 2007, TeamLogic IT has become the 55th largest IT service provider globally. Our success is driven through one core mission - to leverage technology for our customers.Thousands of businesses across the US - just like yours here in Wilmington, NC - are taking advantage of our ability to deliver highly available, secure and flexible IT systems. At TeamLogic IT, our philosophy is simple - we work with you the way we'd want someone to work with us. Visit us today in the Port City at 2901 North Kerr Ave., 910-500-1392. If email works best for you, contact me personally at [email protected].