Print
Government

Bald Head Island To Receive $2.9M For Beach Restoration

By Johanna Cano, posted Jan 21, 2020
Aerial of Bald Head Island in early 2018, before Hurricane Florence made landfall September 2018. (File photo)
The state and FEMA have approved $2.9 million to reimburse expenses used for storm-related damage at Bald Heald Island's beaches, according to a Tuesday news release.

Storm surges from 2018’s Hurricane Florence damaged the beach and eroded sand.

The funds will reimburse the replacement of beach sand for the village of Bald Head Island, including plans to replenish the beach with more than 215,000 cubic yards of sand, according to the release.

More than $109 million has been approved to restore North Carolina beaches, according to FEMA.

The towns of Emerald Isle, Holden Beach, Indian Beach, Pine Knoll Shores and Topsail Beach have also previously been approved for beach restoration funding.

The funds come from FEMA’s Public Assistance, which “provides grants for state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations to reimburse the cost of debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent repair work,” stated the release.

Through the cost-sharing program, FEMA reimburses applicants at least 75% of eligible costs, and the remaining 25% is covered by the state.

“FEMA’s share for the latest Bald Head Island project is more than $2.1 million and the state’s share is more than $730,000,” the release stated.

Last month, FEMA and North Carolina approved nearly $19 million in reimbursements for the city of Wilmington and Holden Beach also to be used for storm-related work.

This version includes an update from an amended news release sent by FEMA after the article was published.
Ico insights

INSIGHTS

SPONSORS' CONTENT
Robindavisccu1 1011944433

CCU’s Approach To Data Security: Everyone Plays A Role

Robin Davis - Corning Credit Union (CCU)
Mike stonestreet 300x300

Things To Consider Before Renting In A Community Association

Mike Stonestreet - CAMS (Community Association Management Services)
Michaelhiggins 41019104338

Dignity Memorial Expands Offerings

Michael Higgins - Dignity Memorial

Trending News

Office Developer Buys Market Street Property For $1.35M

Cece Nunn - Apr 9, 2020

Small Business Loans: Wells Fargo Limit Lifted; Live Oak At Capacity

Jenny Callison - Apr 9, 2020

Q&A: Slice Of Life Pizzeria & Pub

Jessica Maurer - Apr 8, 2020

UNCW Announces New Provost

Johanna Cano - Apr 8, 2020

OPINION: Update Pay Loan Rules To Address Restaurants

Jud Watkins - Apr 7, 2020

In The Current Issue

Flurry In The Wake Of Fed Moves

As the Federal Reserve took action in mid-March to re­store public confidence in the U.S. economic system, two local financial advisers prov...


Regional Rift

To the federal government 20 years ago, the Wilmington area truly was the tri-county region. But in 2013 that changed....


Survey Seeks Workforce Info

Businesses around a six-county region are being encouraged to participate in an analysis of the workforce and employment challenges in South...

Book On Business

The 2020 WilmingtonBiz: Book on Business is an annual publication showcasing the Wilmington region as a center of business.

Order Your Copy Today!


Galleries

Videos

2019 Health Care Heroes
August 26, 2019 Power Breakfast: A Healthy Sale?
2019 WILMA Leadership Accelerator
2019 WilmingtonBiz Expo Keynote Lunch - CEO, nCino, Pierre Naude`