The Greater Wilmington Business Journal's Health Care Heroes Awards honors individuals and organizations that are making an impact on the quality of health care in Wilmington.
Whether they are companies, doctors, nurses, specialists or managers, join us in recognizing those who embody the word “hero” and prove their excellence in helping others.
The finalists will be profiled in the special Health Care Heroes section of the Business Journal and the winners will be announced at an awards event on October 27 at The Wilson Center.
Friday, October 27, 2023
The Wilson Center
5:00-6:00 pm - Cocktail Reception
6:00-7:00 pm - Awards Ceremony
7:00-10:00 pm - Food, drinks and dancing
Meet the 2023 Health Care Heroes Finalists:
Honors an individual or team who successfully implemented a program addressing a problem in health care administration, delivery or community outreach. Judges will consider its uniqueness, cost-effectiveness and impact on the community.
- Buffy Andrews, CEO + Wellness Buff, The Made Well Center for Wholeness
- Jason Clamme, Director of Community Engagement, Lower Cape Fear LifeCare
- Nin Patel, Pharmacy Technician, Dosher Memorial Hospital
Health Care Executive:
Honors an individual whose job performance is considered exemplary by people within their organizations, peers and community members. Judges will consider their impact on their organization and the community and relevant testimonials.
Innovation in Health Care:
- Dora Daughhetee, Senior Director, Novant Health Heart & Vascular Institute
- Drew Haygood, Director of Information Technology, Wilmington Health
- Gwen Whitley, President & CEO, Lower Cape Fear LifeCare
Honors an individual or team behind a new scientific discovery, procedure, treatment or device that can save lives or improve the quality of life for a large number of people. Judges will consider the current and potential impact of the innovation.
- Gregory Brannon, Medical Director, Optimal Bio
- Suprena Hickman, RN, Nurse Educator & Founder, Sankofa Training & Wellness Institute
- Brittany Meilinger, PharmD, Clinical Pharmacist, Novant Health NHRMC Specialty Pharmacy
Honors an individual for achievements throughout his or her career. Judges will consider the individual's professional accomplishments, impact on the community and assistance they gave to others.
Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant:
- Rob Harper, Physician, Novant Health Heart & Vascular Institute
Honors a nurse practitioner or physician assistant whose performance is considered exemplary by patients, peers and other health care providers.
- Jessica Lancaster, Physician Assistant, Wilmington Health Interventional Pain & Regenerative Medicine
- Aiereal Lloyd, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner & Certified Perinatal Mental Health Practitioner, Chrysalis Center for Counseling & Eating Disorders Treatment
- Bridgette Williams, Nurse Practitioner, Novant Health Heart & Vascular Institute
Honors a nurse whose performance is considered exemplary by patients, peers and other health care providers. Judges will consider evidence of positive clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction and relevant testimonials.
- Emily Cruickshank, Nurse, Novant Health
- Erin Murray, Registered nurse, Well Care Health
- Nancy Russell, Registered Nurse, Lower Cape Fear LifeCare
Honors a physician whose performance is considered exemplary by patients, peers and other health care providers. Judges will consider evidence of positive clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction and relevant testimonials.
- Umar Bowers, Medical Director, Dawson Med & Dawson Med Urgent Care
- Catherine Daum, Physician, Wilmington Health
- Jugta Kahai, Pediatric Medical Director, Columbus Regional Healthcare System
Honors anyone working in health care who may not fit into the categories listed above. This includes first responders, physical therapists, dental professionals, chiropractors, certified nursing aides, mental health professionals, researchers, administrators and others whose performance is considered exemplary by patients, colleagues and other health care providers. Judges will consider evidence of positive clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction and relevant testimonials.
- Joe Hill, Director of Dietary Services, Dosher Memorial Hospital
- Joshua Jones, Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner, Novant Health NHRMC & Novant Health Primary Care Clinics
- Tammy Scott, Managed Care Coordinator, Wilmington Health
Honors a volunteer at a health care provider or other health-related organization who is considered exemplary by people within those organizations. Judges will consider their impact on health care delivery and how their involvement has made a significant difference.
- Terry Blackburn, Veterans Hospice Volunteer, Amedisys Hospice
- Dot Grime, Volunteer, Novant Health
- Dave Pearce, Retired, Helping Others Helping Others & Volunteer, Lower Cape Fear LifeCare
The 2022 Health Care Heroes winners:
- Lifetime Achievement: J. Richard Tamisiea, Retired cardiologist, Wilmington Health
- Community Achievement: Candy Lee, Memory Partners Program manager, Lower Cape Fear LifeCare
- Health Care Executive: J. Dale Key, CEO (retired), Eastern Carolina Emergency Physicians
- Innovation in Health Care: Lance Lewis & Erin Lambert, Pulmonary Embolus Response Team, Novant Health Coastal Region
- Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant: H. Deak Walden, Orthopedic physician assistant, EmergeOrtho
- Nurse: Marian Smith, LPN, Well Care Health
- Physician: Todd Kornegay, MD, Internal medicine, Novant Health New Hanover Primary Care
- Volunteer: Boys in Blue, Lower Cape Fear LifeCare
- Unsung Hero: Sandra DiNapoli, Patient representative, Wilmington Health
Click here to learn about the 2022 Health Care Heroes honorees.
Anyone who works or volunteers with health care in New Hanover, Brunswick, Pender and Columbus counties is eligible for the awards.
Nominations come from patients, peers, co-workers or anyone else who knows a worthy nominee. A panel of independent health care professionals will select three finalists and one winner for each category.
Interested in being a Health Care Heroes sponsor? Contact [email protected]
Have questions regarding the Health Care Heroes Awards event or nomination process? Contact [email protected]