A Managed IT Services Provider (MSP) is a powerful option for small and medium businesses to lower costs, incur less downtime and increase network security.
For some businesses, managing IT services alone can be a challenge when customers expect immediate service and technology continues to increase in complexity. You need to keep up with demands for faster and smarter productivity applications and networking equipment.
This is where an MSP can help.
Signs You Need A New MSP
If you currently have an MSP and are not satisfied, here are some signs that it might be time to switch a new one:
- Nothing stays fixed. A reputable MSP must use the latest tools, technologies and databases to detect and resolve issues before they disrupt your operations. If the same problems continue to occur, it may reveal a lack of vigilance, professionalism, technical expertise or poor monitoring and tracking practices on the part of the provider.
- They’re tactical not strategic. In the past, a reactive “repair person” may have worked well with your company needs. But with the increasing complexity and vulnerability of modern enterprise, you may now need more. An engaged and proactive IT partner understands your business and aligns systems and solutions with strategic goals and objectives.
- You’ve outgrown them. When businesses grow, so does their dependence on technology. Your provider may not be able to support the larger business, as indicated by infrequent communication and updates and a growing backlog of critical upgrades, fixes and improvements.
- Trust your instincts. If you are not an IT person and must work with an MSP, it can be difficult to determine if you are receiving good advice. If you don’t understand – or feel intimidated or ill-equipped to question recommendations – there will be less communication and collaboration.
Critical MSP Skills
To assess whether a new MSP can manage the emerging technology projects that will help your business compete, innovate and grow, ensure they have demonstrated the following skills and practices:
- Remote monitoring and management of networks, desktop and mobile devices – Work is increasingly executed, transmitted and stored through digital means, and any system downtime at the network or device level could be a business threat.
- Data backup and disaster recovery – Backup and recovery plans that minimize downtime and lessen damage to your business are critical. The speed at which your systems and operations are restored could mean the difference between keeping and losing customers.
- Technical acumen – Knowledge of core business systems – such as networking, cybersecurity and unified communications – and experts who know about the technology involved in digital business to ask the right questions and cover all the bases.
- Leadership and communication – Effective technology management that includes articulating project objectives, closely tracking assignments, building consensus and influencing decisions during various implementations.
- Negotiation – Establishment of constructive working relationships with a variety of users and stakeholders across organization based on understanding all needs and helping to foster compromise.
- Organization, agility and flexibility – Knowing how to track and coordinate numerous activities across multiple teams, identify and locate relevant devices quickly, and switch focus promptly to ensure effective service and project success.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving - Understanding both the big picture and the importance of details like deadlines and action items, no matter how small to find solutions that work for everyone involved.
Working with an MSP should not be stressful or overwhelming. If you are not happy with your current MSP, find another one.
At TeamLogic IT, we want to make sure you find an MSP you feel comfortable with and with whom you can work together well. Try our comprehensive approach to Managed IT Services, which focuses on delivering the highest levels of availability and security anytime and anywhere.
Since 2007, TeamLogic IT has become the 36th largest IT service provider globally. Our success is driven through one core mission - to leverage technology for our customers.Thousands of businesses across the US - just like yours here in Wilmington, NC - are taking advantage of our ability to deliver highly available, secure and flexible IT systems. At TeamLogic IT, our philosophy is simple - we work with you the way we'd want someone to work with us. Visit us today in the Port City at 2901 North Kerr Ave., 910-500-1392. If email works best for you, contact me personally at [email protected].