The committee searching for the next chancellor of the University of North Carolina Wilmington consists of 18 members, many of whom have long-standing ties to the school.
The group will be picking the person to succeed Chancellor Jose Sartarelli, who recently announced he will retire June 30
The search committee tentatively scheduled its first meeting for Nov. 1.
"The committee will identify high-quality candidates and make recommendations to the full Board of Trustees at UNCW. The board will then vote on candidates to send to [University of North Carolina System President Peter Hans] for consideration," according to a news release.
Hans will nominate a finalist to the UNC Board of Governors, which will elect the new chancellor in 2022.
The following are the members of the UNCW Chancellor Search Committee:
- Gidget Kidd, ’91, educational and community leader from Asheboro, chair of the UNCW Board of Trustees and the search committee
- Stephania Bloodworth, ’00, business operations manager from Wilmington
- Dennis Burgard, ’88, former trustee and real estate leader from Jacksonville
- Adam Clark, ’11, Staff Senate chair and Information Technology Services technician
- Natalie English, president and CEO, Wilmington Chamber of Commerce
- Robert “Robby” Fensom, Student Government Association president and a senior from Fayetteville
- Carlton Fisher, ’83, trustee board secretary and real estate leader from Wilmington
- Holly G. Grange, trustee and community and government leader from Wilmington
- Nathan Grove, Faculty Senate president, chemistry and biochemistry professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Morgan Jackson, ’96, a public affairs professional from Raleigh, UNCW Foundation Board member
- Henry L. “Hal” Kitchin Jr., attorney from Wilmington and former trustee and board chair
- Henry E. “Hank” Miller III, ’85, trustee board vice chair and real estate leader from Wrightsville Beach
- Justine Reel, associate dean for research and innovation, College of Health and Human Services
- Yousry Sayed, trustee and business leader from Wilmington
- Peter Schuhmann, economics professor, Cameron School of Business
- Maurice Smith, ’79, former trustee and credit union president from Cary
- Robert Smith, professor of instructional technology, foundations, and secondary education, Watson College of Education
- Jimmy T. Tate, ’99, ’01 MA, '19 MA, trustee and educational community leader, southeastern North Carolina
"UNC Wilmington’s all-around excellence will attract a strong pool of potential chancellors,” Hans said in the release. “This search committee is passionate about public higher education, and I am grateful to each member for serving the campus and its community.”
Kidd said, “We know that the UNCW community cares deeply about our university and its future leadership. We are invested in collaborating with the UNC System during this process, and we look forward to engaging with students, alumni, faculty, staff and other Seahawks to hear their insights and understand their perspectives."