The seventh annual Taste of Wrightsville Beach took place Sunday, highlighting the flavors of area restaurants alongside local beer, wine and spirits.
The event allows patrons to interact with participating venues and vote for their favorite bites and sips, while raising money for New Hanover County Weekend Meals on Wheels (WMOW).
The event was originally scheduled for Saturday but was postponed because of inclement weather.
“The Taste of Wrightsville Beach was truly a culinary delight to all who attended,” said Lisa Weeks, chair of Taste of WB and WMOW council board member.“After a delay due to weather and the shorter set up time due to high winds, our island restaurants and chefs came out in full force for our cause of feeding seniors with Weekend Meals on Wheels.”
The event help to fund about 5,000 meals for local seniors in need, Weeks said.
In addition to the people’s choice awards, a panel of judges awarded prizes for Best in Show, Best Savory and Best Sweet dishes.
“The voting margins were very, very close in many counts even resulting in a tie for the People's Choice award in the best dish category between South Beach Grill and Oceanic,” Weeks said.
South Beach Grill served house-smoked N.C. pork belly with Cheerwine barbecue sauce and bacon-gorgonzola slaw on top of a homemade Johnny cake, while Oceanic treated guests to tuna tartare with sweet soy sauce, miso and avocado on a sesame crisp.
Here are the full results:
JUDGES’ CHOICE, Best Overall
JUDGES' CHOICE, Best Savory
- 1st place, East at the Blockade Runner for bibim guksu with smoked pork, somen noodles, cucumber, salted cabbage, pickled onion, cherry tomatoes, radish and herbs paired with an Indian Summer cocktail made with Blue Shark Vodka, pear nectar, Chai tea, bitters and lemon
- 2nd place, Waterman’s Brewing Company for house-made spam musubi with pineapple rice wrapped in nori and finished with a siracha-kewpie aioli and housemade pork furikaki
- 3rd place, Oceanic for tuna tartare with sweet soy sauce, miso and avocado on a sesame crisp
JUDGES' CHOICE, Best Sweet
- 1st place, Dockside for blue crab and corn chowder
- 2nd place, Sweet n Savory for a fall crostini with spiced pork, baked apple and pumpkin puree
- 3rd place, Oceans at the Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort for smoked pork belly with a fig, berry and orange compote on coffee grits with ground pistachios
Have a tip for Restaurant Roundup? Email [email protected].
- 1st place, South Beach Grill for a chess pie bar with candied lemon, a blueberry gastrique and N.C. sweet potato Chantilly cream
- 2nd place, Waterman’s Brewing Company for orange and yuzu guri guri (Hawaiian ice cream)
- 3rd place, 22 North for a deconstructed beet and prickly pear tiramisu with Godiva chocolate and candied espresso beans.