The drone of a continuously operating HVAC system or one that is constantly cycling on and off can be an annoying distraction, especially for those of us who work from home or like to watch TV without cranking the volume. Considering that the noises emanating from an HVAC system can point to a slew of underlying problems, as well as the promise of major troubles on the horizon, it is worthwhile to apply some time and effort toward trouble shooting.
Being proactive about preventative maintenance can ensure that minor problems don’t turn into major ones. With the idea being that the variety of possible noises that could be produced by an HVAC system are similar to a message, especially for someone like a technician who is accustomed to hearing these noises, then applying their training and experience to create an action plan for solving them, it could be a good idea to call in an expert. That said, here are a few of the common annoying noises issued by HVAC systems, along with the underlying issues/problems that could be creating them:
- Continuous operation – Aside from wasting a significant amount of energy, an HVAC system that is in continuous operation can cause substantial wear and tear on the internal parts. This can lead to an expensive, premature breakdown, and considering that this can be the result of a variety of issues, such as clogged air filters, leaking refrigerant, faulty controls or a frozen evaporator coil, having a technician analyze the system could be the best approach.
- Unabated peak volume – A system that has always been loud could point to a flaw with the initial design. Simply put, the system might be too big for your house, or the design of the ductwork might not be effectively customized to the unique parameters of the property.
- Whines and whistles – The good news is that there may not be a ghost in the machine. Instead, the air flow issues that bring about annoying noises could be the result of a poorly designed ventilation system, leaky ductwork, a fan motor operating at the wrong speed for the system, or an air filter that needs to be replaced.
- Shakes and rattles – This is one of many places where it pays dividends to have someone with a trained ear listen to the HVAC system while it is in operation. Part of the reason is that shakes and rattles can be the result of a variety of issues, including worn bearings, damaged fan motor blades, or ductwork that has worked itself loose over time. An unidentified rattle could even be the result of a loose object in the ductwork. Sometimes, the entire system can get loose over time, creating a shake that can quickly lead to major problems.
- Shrieks and squeals – While it may be fun to think about an HVAC system terrifying trick-or-treaters so close to Halloween, when a system is producing sounds like these it could be due to a blower belt that is slipping, worn out or loose. It’s also possible the bearings in the motor shaft need to be oiled. If there is a silver lining to this, it is that a preventative maintenance visit with a qualified technician could head them off before they turn into something worse.
Understanding that time is money, creating a quiet and peaceful work environment could amount to a substantial cost savings and a vast increase in productivity — important things to consider whether you’re a business owner or someone working from home.
To help our clients head off major issues, we offer a preventative maintenance program called the Comfort Club. Members of the Comfort Club receive two complimentary preventative maintenance visits per year (one for heating and one for cooling), priority booking, a 25 percent discount on parts, and no extra fees to account for after hours, holiday or weekend visits. To schedule a consultation or get more information about joining the Comfort Club, please call 910-791-0480, text 910-612-0052, or email [email protected]
Chris Jones and the team at Green Dot HVAC are committed to provide their clients with a consultative, transparent approach, driven by innovative technology and a diligent work ethic. With a team of highly trained and versatile technicians, a focus on helping clients make informed decisions, and a commitment to deliver substantial value, Green Dot HVAC is a leader in the Southeast North Carolina marketplace. To arrange a free at-home consultation, a repair/installation or simply find guidance about the nuances of modern heating and air conditioning systems, call 910-791-0480 or text 910-612-0052.